Among the many services we provide to clients, Rogers & Hardin handles the prosecution and defense of intellectual property rights, including disputes relating to trademarks, copyrights, patents, theft of trade secrets, and enforcement of the terms of many kinds of software and technology license agreements. We handle cases involving data security, computer fraud and abuse claims, and we counsel website and content providers regarding a variety of legal issues. Rogers & Hardin has extensive experience in prosecuting trademarks before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and protecting clients' trademark rights from infringement on the internet. Our experience includes the successful arbitration of numerous claims under the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Protocol (UDRP) and successful negotiated resolutions with infringers and their internet service providers. We have handled matters ranging from commercial infringement and "cyber-squatting" to online criticism of clients through the use of trademarks and other methods. We also represent both vendors and customers in disputes over the failed implementation of sophisticated back-office business software.
Well before legal disputes arise, legal advice in the intellectual property realm can be vitally important to the business client. Clients frequently seek our advice regarding the preservation and safeguarding of their intellectual property and the structuring of license agreements and other business relationships so as to preserve their rights and best avoid potential disputes. Rogers & Hardin also advises its business clients on intellectual property issues arising out of business and capital formation, mergers, acquisitions, and other corporate transactions, as well as handling the licensing and cross-licensing of intellectual property.
Intellectual property matters that Rogers & Hardin has handled for its business clients include:
- We regularly advise a leading natural gas supplier on trademark and branding issues and maintenance of the client’s trademark portfolio.
- We advised a public banking company on trademark and strategic marketing issues as the company began to consolidate its individual community banks under one brand image, and, as the result of the branding position developed by the company in conjunction with our legal advice, we thereafter were able to successfully defend and settle trademark infringement claims that were brought against our client.
- We successfully defended and settled litigation against a client who was alleged to have infringed trade secrets and intellectual property rights of a competing supplier of components of a pay-at-your-stall credit card swipe system (PAYS) utilized by the fast-food restaurant industry.
- We defended a national consumer goods company against trademark infringement and dilution claims brought by a regional competitor in an effort to halt or delay our client’s introduction of a new national brand.
- We defended a leading manufacturer of lint removal products against claims of false advertising, trade dress infringement, and unfair competition alleged by our client’s largest competitor, and we were successful in forcing a settlement on favorable terms.
- We regularly represent a privately-held technology company in connection with its product data management and internet marketing licensing and related services agreements.
- We represented a NASDAQ-listed public company in connection with the proposed sale of its patent portfolio.